Skip to main content

The Confusion of My Music Taste

 



People's musical tastes are mostly fixed. For example, someone likes to listen to classical music. If that person coincidentally loves a pop singer or group, but when you look at it, you will see that the songs of that group or singer actually have a classical music background.

But my situation is very complicated.

For example, Wagner's leitmotif or Bach's crazy counterpoints are okay... These are normal since I've been trained/studying. Well, I also like a bit Medieval Traveling Musicians. Most of you know them as Bard. But I learned as minnesinger, troubadour, and trouvére. The Bards have always sounded more political to me... Maybe because of their history...

Anyway...

I mean, it's natural to have things I love about classical music because I studied at school for 10 years. (In Turkey, the conservatory starts at the age of 10-11 and leaves the regular schools. There is a different education system).

While I was studying, we were forbidden to listen to anything other than classical music for the first 6-7 years. Especially the music that contains quarter tones that are not in the Classical Music system, such as Turkish Folk Music, and Turkish Classical Music...

There was no need for such prohibitions for me... I didn't like listening to other music anyway. It felt heavy and bland.

But then things changed while I was studying ethnomusicology at my second university. Whatever was forbidden was now on the list of things I needed to know.

Now, pop, arabesque, Turkish Classical Music, Turkish Folk Music, examples from world music cultures... I was listening to everything.

Because of this, I have developed an eclectic musical taste.

Now, before I present you with a listening list below, I would like to explain one more thing.

Just as doctors do not read medical journals as a hobby; just as lawyers do not pursue lawsuits as a hobby; I also don't listen to music as a hobby in my spare time.

So if I'm listening to music, I either really like it or I'm researching it.

Now, if you're ready, here comes my list...

Enjoyable listening:

Medcezir

Yandım Yandım

Sözlerimi Geri Alamam

Çıkayım Gideyim Urumeline

Sûil a Rûîn

Uzun İnce Bir Yoldayım

Hayde

Battlestar Sonatica

Star Trek OST

Dulaman

It's My Life

Baby I Love Your Way

Ella Ella

Run To You

Lullaby Of Woe

Carry On

What a Wonderful World

The Dragonborn Comes

All The Pretty Little Horses

Tannhauser Ouverture

Flying Deutchman

L'Arlésienne Suits

Mahler Symphony No:5

Köçekçe

This is not the whole list, of course. However, it can offer new perspectives to those looking for different tastes.

Which one was your favorite?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sun Tzu Says!

                 This cute little Chinese uncle has a famous book called The Art of War. If I'm not mistaken, it is also on the reading list of some countries' war academies...                Well, do you know what war is according to Uncle Sun? The art of deception.                I took a lot of quotes from the book but stuck on one sentence. I wouldn't be if I didn't write about it.                Conquering an already defeated enemy.             He argues that this was a just and moral victory. Oh, by the way, the reason why this enemy has already been defeated; It is due to the fact that the enemy took the army or the commander in front of him by various tricks, making them unable to fight.                It is obvious that this is a victory, but is it really an honorable victory? Wouldn't the war of the strong be more honorable, won by the right of the wrist? I mean, of course, I think about everything during the period of Uncle Sun. After all, there were no s

You are in Turkey for a Mission and...

  For Pic You are working in an embassy or elsewhere and you have come to Turkey by necessity. This is likely your compulsory duty - naturally - not in a small town in Turkey... I am writing this article about compulsory stays in the centers of big cities. But if you say, "I came to a small town. How is it here?" If anyone says so, I will prepare an article for them. Now let's come to the situation in big cities... Again, 'naturally', I am preparing this article by thinking of Istanbul and Ankara, maybe also Adana... I don't know exactly what you'll do when you're on mandatory duty, but if it's your first time in such a situation, you're probably making the standard tourist mistakes. Well; going to popular places, thinking that you are eating Turkish food from tourist menus in restaurants arranged for tourists, etc.  Especially if you are in a big city, the soul of the city is always in the back streets. And do you know; this is not as bad as i